Dr. Possani is a full time professor and researcher in the Mathematics Department at ITAM. He is member of the National System of Researchers (S.N.I.) since 2005, founding member and present vice-president of the Mexican Operations Research Society, and from 2016 until 2018 was Secretary General of the Mexican Mathematical Society.
He holds a PhD. from the University of Southampton. His first academic position was financed by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council of the UK (2001-2003) to analyze operational and financial decision for start-up companies in collaboration with the University of Edinburg (Scotland) and Monash University (Australia). The project involved consulting for companies that manufactured refrigerating units for wine and air compressors. He later worked at the Mexican Institute of Petroleum (2003-2006) where he was involved in several projects for PEMEX (National Oil Company) to do with modeling and software developing for R&D projects, information security systems, design of experiments for catalysis, among others. Since 2006 he is a full time professor and researcher at ITAM in the department of Mathematics, where he has done research in a variety of areas with applications to the manufacturing and aviation industry as well as to the public sector. His main area of interest is operations research in particular discrete optimization, linear programming and Markov decision process modeling, as well as metaheuristic design.
He participated in a CONACyT (Mexican Science and Technology Council) project to do with research into mathematics education where he published several papers, and is author of textbooks in Spanish related to Probability and Statistics (Ed. Santillana), Algebra (Ed. Trillas), and Calculus (Ed. Trillas).
Topics of Interest
- Optimization Algorithms and Heuristics (Cross Entropy Method, Genetic, Local Search, and Simulated Annealing Algorithms, among others)
- Logistic and Transportation Problems (Stochastic VRPs, Supply Chain, Management, and Inventory Control Models, among others)
- Modeling Financial and Operational Decisions (Markov decision Processes, Linear Optimization)
- Evaluation of Economic Efficiency (Data envelopment analysis)
- Data Mining (Classifying and Regression Trees)
- Mathematics Education (APOS, Modeling, among others)